Click on the links below for fun and educational activities. Activities are designed for youth of all ages and are also useful for parents and teachers.
ACTIVITY ZONE CONTENTS
- Romare Bearden: Let's Walk The Block – See Harlem street life through the eyes and imagination of Romare Bearden – Take a guided tour – Listen to jazz music – Be an artist.
- Destination: Modern Art – A visitor from outer space is sent to Earth on a mission to explore modern art - Create a collage - search for objects in Bearden’s artwork.
- San Francisco Museum of Modern Art – Explore Romare Bearden's life and work – Learn about his love of jazz and blues music – Understand how he fused diverse artistic traditions.
- NPR - National Public Radio - All Things Considered – Explore Romare Bearden’s fascinating life – Listen to Maya Angelou read from Bearden’s children’s book, Li’l Dan, The Drummer Boy.
- Jerry Jazz Musician – See Romare Bearden’s beautiful art – Read poet Derek Walcott’s dedication to his friend Bearden.
- National Gallery of Art Collage Machine – Make a collage like Romare Bearden.
- National Gallery of Art - The Art of Romare Bearden – Meet Romare Bearden – Explore his art – Write a poem inspired by art.
- Public Art Expedition – Explore the outdoor art of Romare Bearden - Take a trip to the Bronx, New York, to see his beautiful stained glass windows.
A special request to researchers and scholars and students: The Romare Bearden Foundation is always interested in new scholarship on the life and art of Romare Bearden. If you are working on special research in this area please let us know!